So the Intel I219V network controller on the ASRock Mini ITX (H170M-ITX/DL) motherboard was trash. It was constantly becoming unresponsive to the point where the firewall just useless. So then I used a USB NIC to work around the problem. Then Untangle updated the firewall code and that stopped working. Then I mothballed the firewall I built and obtained a WRT1900ACS and used Untangle on that…until I recognized that reports only had a few hours of history. CRAP!
I figured, “what the hell.” I need to be able to filter the Internet to make sure the kid is not getting into trouble online, and also to deny Internet to their devices at bed time. It’s also important that I can read the system logs to see if they attempted to go anywhere they shouldn’t.
The firewall worked perfectly until I attempted to load an SSL cert. Then Apache2 died and I lost my ability to connect to the appliance. An hour of mucking about in bash, and I was able to disabled SSL in Apache2 and get back in. Tech support is still trying to work out what happened, so I’m working with the default cert for now. It’s a shame because I was able to load an SSL cert on both other appliances with no problems. I figured the one that said, “Untangle” on it would be a slam dunk.
UPDATE: Tech support identified and corrected the problem that was causing the Apache2 service to fail on restart. My certificate is now in place and I can manage my firewall remotely without having to force the web browser to accept the built-in certificate.
The reports I’m getting daily via e-mail are helpful, and it’s nice to be able to go back and look at the log data. This firewall is much easier to configure than other’s I’ve seen.