I’ve been filtering my domain mail through a local mail server for a bit. This has cut down on the amount of spam that 1&1 forwards unfiltered, and ensures that I can send outbound mail when their servers are blacklisted.
I’ve been working with tweaking spamassassin performance for aggressive filtering for some time now. Due to the OSX server configuration (10.8 and 10.9), I’ve made most adjustments with amavisd (conf file). Some rules were not effective so I made further adjustments by altering the postfix queue to do additional header checks and redirect filtered messages to a catch all mailbox.
Later, I added blacklist and whitelist files to spamassassin which greatly improved frequency of false positives on inbound mail.
On my personal mail filter, I was having difficulty (again) getting amavisd to adjust spamassassin points for a specific alias that redirects to my mailbox.
After a few attempts, I was able to get the desired result by creating a custom spamassassin rule that is parsed during filtering. Along the way, I learned not to patch amavisd on the Apple specific builds. I’m hoping to have some time over the Christmas break to compare the source code of Apples configuration versus the corresponding open source build.