Dec 132014
 

I’ve been filtering my domain mail through a local mail server for a bit. This has cut down on the amount of spam that 1&1 forwards unfiltered, and ensures that I can send outbound mail when their servers are blacklisted.

I’ve been working with tweaking spamassassin performance for aggressive filtering for some time now. Due to the OSX server configuration (10.8 and 10.9), I’ve made most adjustments with amavisd (conf file). Some rules were not effective so I made further adjustments by altering the postfix queue to do additional header checks and redirect filtered messages to a catch all mailbox.

Later, I added blacklist and whitelist files to spamassassin which greatly improved frequency of false positives on inbound mail.

On my personal mail filter, I was having difficulty (again) getting amavisd to adjust spamassassin points for a specific alias that redirects to my mailbox.

After a few attempts, I was able to get the desired result by creating a custom spamassassin rule that is parsed during filtering. Along the way, I learned not to patch amavisd on the Apple specific builds. I’m hoping to have some time over the Christmas break to compare the source code of Apples configuration versus the corresponding open source build.

Dec 112014
 

I like to see where my mail is coming from.  I like to see how Spamassassin is scoring messages so that I can fine tune the settings.  I have a lot of plugins for OSX Mail, so the prospect of moving to a third party mail client and losing all of my Mailtags/Devonthink/Omnifocus/Things integration doesn’t seem worth it.  Clicking the stupid icon to show headers on every message is a real pain in the ass as well.  Why the option to show all as default was removed is beyond me.  Here’s a peek at the foolishness I had to endure just to get the default view back to what I was used to under Mavericks:

I'm sure I've missed some!

I’m sure I’ve missed some!