I recently stumbled upon a computer that seemed to be confused about the installed anti-virus software. Though anti-virus software is a necessary evil in the Windows world, I’ve never really been a fan of Norton consumer products. Symantec Anti-virus Corporate edition was a great product back in the day, but I’ve since abandoned their product line after early versions of Endpoint Protection created a lot of headaches by interrupting all network traffic. As outsourced IT, these kind of issues from software vendors are absolutely unacceptable, as we typically have to eat the lost revenue incurred in troubleshooting. Lately I’ve had better luck with Trend Micro products. Anyway, the screen shot struck me funny. Geek Humor.
Recently, I have come across some major deficiencies in Apple’s MobileMe service, as well as their implementation of caldav support and iCal. Since the upgrade to the new calendar format, a client has been having some major difficulties syncing work calendars. Prior to the recent forced upgrade to the new calendar structure, MobileMe was able to sync calendars between the owner’s MacBook Pro and the office Mac Mini just fine. There are about 15 separate calendars used for scheduling various tasks and work crews with about five years worth of data in them. On the surface, everything looks great. The calendars maintain their customized colors and content between the two Macs, three iPhones and an iPad. The problem is that since the upgrade, syncing has become an exercise in futility. When syncs do complete properly across all devices, it can take upwards of six hours to complete. I contacted MobileMe chat support. According to Apple, the issue is caused by the large number of events stored in the calendars. Adding insult to injury (so to speak), it was suggested that we delete unused events from the calendars to improve the sync times… one by one. Archiving the calendars, or simply exporting them and importing them as local calendars on each Mac would not be a problem. The real issue is that there is no way to delete a range of events in iCal or through the MobileMe website. I did not spend significant time looking for a mechanism to accomplish this, but initial tests seemed to indicate that it is possible to delete calendar events one month at a time by accessing MobileMe calendars through Evolution on Ubuntu… go figure.
Incidentally, we also have exchange calendar capability. In exploring a possible solution to the sync issue, I exported all calendars and then imported them through iCal to an exchange account. Activesync replicated the calendars (while maintaining the calendar colors) to the other Mac with no problem whatsoever. Unfortunately, iOS does not maintain the color schema. In fact, toggling the exchange calendar on and off on an iOS device cycles through random calendar colors in a non-sensical manner. Very disappointing, Apple. Very disappointing.
After an 18 month hiatus from active blogging, I’ve moved my site(s) from 1&1 to Hostgator. (More on that later) I’ve spent a bit of time doing some merge/purge on old blog entries, as well as trying out new tools/methods for blog editing. This post represents my first attempt at posting from Lekhonee 0.7 on Ubuntu 11.04 — If you’re reading this, then I guess it works. Some items I hope to review in the near future include the use of free/opensource applications and services to gain access to shared resources in a platform independant manner…. I might actually do some editing at a later date as well. Anyway, off to bed!
The post is brought to you by lekhonee v0.7
Due to lack of Silverlight support for linux, no Netflix on the netbook. Too bad…
Oh and this is only a test. I really should do something with this site…